Sunday, June 14, 2009

Breakout (XNA) - Update 4

Just a small update today. I managed to have the ball speed up to a certain point. Of course this doesn't make the game extremely interesting, though it does create a little bit more of a challenge. Changing the angle at which the ball bounces would also be nice in my opinion. I'm just not sure how to go about doing this. What I mean is, I don't know what should effect the angle the ball moves. I'm thinking it will have to have something to do with the location the ball strikes the brick or the paddle. I'll figure it out soon enough.

I've also been playing around with getting some sound going. I don't think it'll be too difficult, but I got kind of lazy while reading through the help at the XNA Developer Center. It'll get done eventually since I have to learn about XACT anyway, but probably not today. I'll keep you updated. (A little .wav file is included in this file version if you're interested in trying yourself)

Finally, I created initial rectangles for the paddle and the ball. Previously, I was creating new rectangles on every update, however, I thought this might be the cause of the game getting choppy. Now, I just change the position of the rectangles on every update. Unfortunately, that didn't fix anything... at least as far as I can tell. I'll probably have to learn how to debug properly or something to figure this out. And that's it for this update. Check out the source code, and I'll keep updating the progress of the game.

No comments:

Post a Comment