Tuesday, June 2, 2009

Game Programming in C++

As I said before, I decided I would have a look at trying to create a game in C++. Maybe Breakout since it is quite similar to Pong and would therefore be quite easy. Well, I'm nowhere near that stage yet. It turns out C++ is a little more complicated than I expected. At least the graphical aspects are. Maybe it's because I've used Java Swing before or something, but the C++ way of opening a window seems like a lot of work. I haven't even started adding a few components to the screen yet, so that should be fun. Of course there seems as though there is a lot of flexibility with C++ and I'm hoping that it will only get easier as times goes on.

A good thing about learning C++ though, is that there are a million tutorials out there on it. Of course most of them are about the basics, which is pretty annoying since I know all about loops and conditional statements and whatnot, but I still have to read all about it because I don't know the syntax. One group of tutorials that I have found quite useful are the ZeusCMD tutorials. They let me kind of just jump into creating a GUI in C++. If you're interested, check it out, because I found that simply searching "C++ GUI" on Google wasn't much help.

No comments:

Post a Comment