Friday, June 5, 2009

XNA

So, the plan has changed a little bit. It turns out I have a research project to complete on XNA for a university course. From what I can tell (I'm somewhat of a beginner too don't forget), XNA is a framwork that works on top of Microsoft Visual Studio or Microsoft Visual Express C#. It is specially designed to develop games for Windows, Xbox360 and the Zune. For more information check out the XNA Creators Club. It's a website devoted to XNA game creation, as well as game testing and sharing. I've just signed up under the creator name osiris003, so you can check out my (currently empty) profile if you wish. By the way, developing games with XNA is totally free, but it will cost you $99 USD per year if you want to get them working on Xbox360.

Anyway, I figure the best way to research XNA is to jump right in and start programming with it. Now, I know very little about XNA and C# at this point, so there will probably be quite the learning curve, but I'll certainly keep you updated. Maybe I'll even end up with some sort of game when I'm finished. I just hope it'll be a little more entertaining than Pong. In case you're wondering, I haven't given up on the C++. I still think it is an important language to learn for game development. I just have to put it on the backburner for a few weeks as I learn a little XNA and finish up a university assignment in the process.

No comments:

Post a Comment