Tuesday, June 16, 2009

Breakout (XNA) - Update 5

Well, my progress through the XNA 3D tutorial was halted abruptly today as the XNA Creators Club site went down for maintenance. So, it was back to the Breakout game I've been working on for the past little while. It turns out it was worth it. I learned to create a title screen for the game... well actually, I can now create any number of screens for the game. It's really pretty cool, and quite simple if you understand how to use new class objects. The person who posted the tutorial, George Clingerman, called it changing states with "Polymorphism". I haven't really read up on polymorphism, so I'm not really sure what that means yet, but I was still able to work my way through the tutorial and understand it all. Though, now that my interest is sparked, I think I might check out a few pages on the subject anyway. Mr. Clingerman also gives a couple of other simpler ways to change states, along with a number of other helpful tutorials on XNA, so definitely give his site a look if you're interested.

As for the Breakout game, I was hoping to put in some sound effects, but that was tied directly into the 3D game tutorial since they explain it there. Needless to say, that didn't get done. I'm also thinking I'm going to create a sort of point and click level creator or something. Or maybe I'll just start making a cooler game... who knows? Check out the source here and figure out how the state changing works. It's really not to complicated.

No comments:

Post a Comment