Sunday, June 7, 2009

Breakout (XNA)

So, I've started up a Breakout game. I know I said before I'd try it in C++, and I may still yet, however, I got going with XNA and well, I figured I'd try Breakout with that. It's probably because I'm not the most creative person in the world at times. Anyway, it's going fairly well. I've got some bricks to break as well as a moving paddle. XNA is really fun to learn and I imagine it will only get better. So check out the code from my Google site and play around with it. Let me know if you make any cool changes and I'll put them up along with credit. If many people start to be interested, I'll toss it up as open source. As for some possible changes to the game, here's a short list:
  • a moving ball is necessary
  • score keeper
  • collisions with bricks and paddles
  • different levels/layouts
  • level creator would be nice
  • life tracker
  • opening screen
Obviously there can be much more added, but these things would definitely make the game much better. Just a little side note about the XNA Creators Club... it's a really cool place, but in order to share and play with each others' games, you need to be a premium member, which means you need to pay. I'm not really about paying for stuff, especially when I'm just beginning, so I'll just be posting my games on my site and then if people start becoming more interested, I'll post them on an open source site. Making some open source games for Xbox360 would probably be pretty cool anyway, so lets see how this goes.

No comments:

Post a Comment